RFE/RL’s Reside Briefing will provide you with the entire newest tendencies on Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, Western army help to Kyiv, international response, and the plight of civilians and refugees. For all of RFE/RL’s protection of the struggle, click on right here.
Newest Tendencies At A Look
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has agreed to ahead Sweden’s software to enroll in NATO to his parliament for approval, NATO Secretary-Basic Jens Stoltenberg mentioned on July 10.
- U.S. President Joe Biden and British Top Minister Rishi Sunak on July 10 reaffirmed their “steadfast beef up” for Ukraine as they mentioned the impending NATO summit, the White Area mentioned.
- Ukrainian forces have endured to make beneficial properties within the south, releasing a space more or less the scale of the town of Odesa for the reason that get started of its counteroffensive, the Basic Team of workers of Ukraine’s army mentioned on July 10, as a recent Russian strike on a the city in Zaporizhzhya killed no less than 4 other people and wounded no less than 13.
- Russia’s maximum senior common, Leader of the Basic Team of workers Valery Gerasimov, was once proven ordering subordinates to ruin Ukrainian missile websites in a video launched on July 10, in what can be his first look in public since a failed June 24 Wagner mercenary mutiny.
- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov mentioned that Russian President Vladimir Putin met with Yevgeny Prigozhin, the pinnacle of the non-public Wagner mercenary crew, on June 29, simply 5 days after the crowd had marched to inside 200 kilometers of Moscow in a short-lived mutiny.
- The entire selection of Russian squaddies killed within the struggle in opposition to Ukraine was once no less than 47,000 via the tip of Would possibly, a joint investigation via the Russian media retailers Mediazona and Meduza confirmed.
Believe The Porcupine: Western Officers Battle To To find A New Safety Fashion For Ukraine
NATO leaders collect in Lithuania this week. Now not at the schedule: Granting war-ravaged Ukraine long-sought club within the army alliance. However there’s another plan that’s been mentioned in NATO hallways and backroom for months now: It is referred to as the “porcupine” or “Israel” style: provide sufficient weaponry to show Ukraine’s army into an armed drive so tough and prickly that Russia would not need to assault it. Learn the tale via Mike Eckel right here.
After Prigozhin’s Mutiny, What Occurs Subsequent?
The mud continues to be settling in Russia, after Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin’s march on Moscow, a mutiny that offered the gravest problem to President Putin in his 23 years as Russia’s preeminent chief. The place we pass from this is a ways from positive. Learn the tale via Mike Eckel right here.
Who Is Yevgeny Prigozhin, The Bringer Of An ‘Armed Mutiny’?
Yevgeny Prigozhin was once a Kremlin-connected restauranteur who constructed Russia’s maximum infamous non-public mercenary corporate and become a cruel critic of the way Russia’s army waged struggle on Ukraine. That war of words has now come to a head with what President Vladimir Putin has referred to as an “armed mutiny.” Learn the item via Mike Eckel right here.
How Are Peculiar Russians Feeling About The Conflict Being Delivered To Their Doorstep?
Assaults in Shebekino and in other places within the Belgorod area have introduced the struggle house to Russia as native citizens grapple with the brand new fact. Learn the item via Oleg Artyushenko right here.
Can Ukraine’s New Counteroffensive Be successful?
More or less one week right into a counteroffensive that it hopes will alternate the process the 15-month Russian invasion, Ukraine has made advances at the southern and japanese portions of the entrance line, however Russia is preventing again, destroying Western-supplied weaponry. Will the Ukrainian efforts be sufficient? Learn the item via Mike Eckel right here.
The Ukrainian Towns Obliterated In Russia’s Self-Proclaimed ‘Liberation’
Russia’s full-scale struggle on Ukraine has just about wiped a couple of towns and cities from the face of the Earth, regardless of the Kremlin’s declare that it’s engaging in a marketing campaign of “liberation.” Learn the file via RFE/RL’s Donbas.Realities, Svitlana Kuzmenko, and Carl Schreck right here.
After The Flood: What Do We Know About The Destroyed Ukrainian Dam And Its Penalties?
The cave in of the Nova Kakhovka dam despatched torrents of water flooding thru Ukraine’s southern Dnieper River basin, prompting evacuations and inundating hundreds of hectares of land. Amongst different penalties, it will reason the most important environmental crisis of Russia’s full-scale invasion. Learn the file via Mike Eckel right here.
Who Is Flying Army-Grade Drones Over Moscow?
The drones that slammed into constructions and hit different places in Moscow this week had been the second one batch to rattle the Russian capital in a month. It is nonetheless no longer transparent who is at the back of them, and what the objective is. Here is what we all know. Learn the file via Mike Eckel right here.
How Do We Save you A Black-Swan Tournament In Ukraine?
The earlier Ukraine defeats Russia at the battlefield, the fewer most likely there’s the chance of a so-called black swan tournament “akin to a tactical nuclear weapon utilized by Russia,” says Dan Rice, a former particular adviser to the pinnacle of Ukraine’s military. Learn the interview via Vazha Tavberidze right here.
Aside From Wagner, Who Are The Different Russian Mercenary Teams Combating In Ukraine?
The Wagner Team is via a ways essentially the most infamous Russian mercenary corporate, its squaddies having performed visual roles in struggle, chaos, and trade from Africa to Ukraine, the place they have got led Russia’s lengthy, bloody push to take Bakhmut. However Wagner isn’t Russia’s most effective non-public army corporate. Learn the file via Mark Krutov, Sergei Dobrynin, and RFE/RL’s Idel.Realities right here.